[texbirds] Re: Proposal to Ban Revealing Nest Locations in TEXBIRDS

  • From: Troy Hibbitts <alterna2627@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 15:48:59 -0700 (PDT)

I agree, but suggest that at some level this is always going to be a
case-by-case basis.  Obviously, we would want to allow posts like "Trail
Closures in BBNP due to nesting Peregrine Falcons" or some such.  I agree with
David though that exact locations of nesting diurnal raptors, in particular are
of a much more sensitive nature than for most other species, especially given
how territorially defensive they can become.  On the other hand, you will
always have cases of  something like Elf Owls which may nest in cavities and be
undisturbed during the day while they are sleeping on a nest, particularly one
that is in a telephone pole in a parking lot or something similar.   And I'd
love for someone to come disturb the nesting house sparrows in the eves above
my porch!  With that in mind, I think the best we can do is come up with some
general ground rules - there may always be exceptions.
Troy Hibbitts
Brackettville