[texbirds] Re: Possible Mew Gull at Sea Rim State Park

  • From: Graham Floyd <spcgraham.floyd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sgmayes@xxxxxxxxxxx, Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2014 22:47:37 -0600

Young gulls are impossible, but my 1/2 cent says bill is too thick for Mew,
making it Ring-billed Gull.  Here is a similar bird I shot last February
that I called a Ring-billed, with adult Mew Gulls in the photo above:
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S13132118  In the Mew Gull shot
you can see how the older bird in front has a longer, more pointed bill
then the slightly younger bird behind it.  To all the gull experts, is that
what is causing confusion here, a younger and shorter bill?
Graham Floyd,
San Antonio, TX