[texbirds] Re: Possible Mew Gull at Sea Rim State Park

  • From: "thegarlicks tds.net" <thegarlicks@xxxxxxx>
  • To: sgmayes@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2014 13:11:25 -0500

(Resubmitted--Found out today that this was rejected the first time it was
submitted (Jan 4) because I omitted my location.)
Newbie lurker from Michigan, here (planning a TX trip!).  Not too familiar
with Mews, but it's my understanding that that very fine scalloping and
spotting shown on the neck and breast of your gull is characteristic of
first-winter Ring-billeds, and that the similar spotting in Mews is
usually blurrier.

(I've tried to turn a few Ring-billeds into Mews myself, now & then.)

--Diane Garlick
Augusta, MI