[texbirds] Travis County - White Pelicans at Colorado River at HWY 130 & Hornsby Bend

  • From: Mary Ann Melton <mammelton50@xxxxxxx>
  • To: TEXBIRDS <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2014 22:58:10 -0600

I was heading south on HWY 130 east of Austin this morning when I noticed white
flashes from birds in the sky.  I suspected white pelicans but I had to get
closer to be sure.  Carefully watching the traffic and trying to observe the
birds I was gratified to get a closer look as I passed nearly under them -
definitely white pelicans - maybe 15 circling in the air just above the
Colorado River.
What a treat!
As I left my neighborhood in southern Williamson County in rural Hutto there
were 8 or 9 killdeer in a neighbor's yard and a Crested Caracara that crossed
the road.

After a long lunch with friends, I headed to Hornsby Bend.  I was noting the
small number of ducks and shorebirds. As I drove the south road, another bird
pulled up and asked me if I was looking for birds and commenting that they just
weren't at Hornsby Bend this year as they have been other years.  Based upon
what I saw this afternoon, it is hard to disagree.  In other winters the long
south pond has been full of northern shovelers and other species of waterfowl.
Today there were less than 50 shovelers on that pond.  On the north eastern
pond, there were a few green wing teals and some shovelers.  But the flats at
the west end had very few shorebirds.  In some ways the highlight for me was
the muskrat at the water's edge.  Wish my camera had been in the front seat
with me - it would have been a great shot as close to my car as it was.

mammelton
Jan 3, 2014
Hornsby Bend (HOTE 037)
Traveling
3 miles
45 Minutes
Observers: 1
All birds reported? Yes
Comments: Fun seeing a muskrat at the edge of one of the ponds.
36 Northern Shoveler
3 Green-winged Teal
2 Black Vulture
1 Turkey Vulture
5 American Coot
3 Killdeer
10 Least Sandpiper
1 Belted Kingfisher
2 Eastern Phoebe
1 Carolina Chickadee
4 Northern Cardinal
2 Red-winged Blackbird

Mary Ann Melton
Hutto, Texas

Mary Ann Melton

Mary Ann's View Nature Photography Website
http://www.maryannmelton.net

Mary Ann's Blog
http://maryannmelton.blogspot.com/