[texbirds] Monitoring spring bird migration using NEXRAD weather radar

  • From: "John Arvin" <jarvin@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "New Texbirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "LABIRD-L" <LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 10:43:21 -0500

I may have to change my email address to escape an avalanche of spam. I
just got 485 spam emails in less than 24 hrs. What a pain changing a
long-standing email address is!
Anyway, upper winds today are rather low by western Gulf standards - 20
its. S across the board except that Corpus Christi isn't posting radiosonde
reports and the site is down. I guess it is in the upgrade mode, although
that doesn't explain why they are not posting upper air soundings.

The little flurry of trans-Gulf migrants reported along the coast for the
past couple of days seems to have trailed off. This morning a tiny
sprinkling of migrants appears to be approaching all NEXRAD stations from
the SE. Birds appear to be touching down in the Brownsville coverage area
and immediately departing northeastward toward the upper Texas coast and
southwest Louisiana. It was too early for diurnal migrants like raptors
that use thermals for lift plus it is heavily overcast limiting surface
warming. Maybe some will get moving later if enough sunlight leaks through
the cloud cover.

There is light rain and showers over southeastern Texas and southwest
Louisiana that may interfere with trans-Gulf migration, at least locally.
It may be a rewarding weekend to visit the coast.

John C. Arvin
Research Associate
Gulf Coast Bird Observatory
103 West Hwy 332