[texbirds] Monitoring spring bird migration using NEXRAD weather radar

  • From: "John Arvin" <jarvin@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "New Texbirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "LABIRD-L" <LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 13:18:33 -0500

Upper level winds all have a southerly component and are relatively light
except for New Orleans where there are thunderstorms and reasonably strong
upper winds. Brownsville looks to be forming a halo image but elsewhere
arrival signatures are lacking. Probably too early in the day (9:00 a.m.)
given the light winds aloft. Reports from the field indicate a good
sampling of grounded migrants yesterday, slower today. I suspect that is
how things will remain before the frontal/squall line passage Wed. night
and Thursday. Things should be quite lively for a couple of days.
Later: Today the main action is diurnal migrants. Lots of activity south of
Brownsville that I suspect (given the date) to be largely Swainson's Hawks.
Likewise at Corpus Christi (inland sector to a little west of an
Alice/Falfurrias line) and targets tending to curve toward the NE to
parallel the coastline. Targets approaching Houston are from the west and
south. Likewise at Lake Charles and trans-Gulf migrants are approaching New
Orleans from the Golden Meadow sector in the wake of a line of strong
thunderstorms which has now passed on toward the mouths of the Mississippi.
Most stations showed a light trans-Gulf flight. With very light upper winds
some of these birds may be sufficiently tired to drop into coastal woodlots
this afternoon, but I doubt there will be many.

John C. Arvin
Research Associate
Gulf Coast Bird Observatory
103 West Hwy 332