[texbirds] Monitoring spring bird migration using NEXRAD weather radar

  • From: "John Arvin" <jarvin@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "New Texbirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "LABIRD-L" <LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2013 12:50:27 -0500

After a really wild weather day yesterday, today is quite tranquil.
Baseball-sized hail fell across south Texas in the late afternoon
destroying roofs and automobiles. So far I have not seen any reports of
bird mortality but a similar storm some years back killed a couple of
thousand Reddish Egrets at the Green Island rookery and destroyed virtually
all the nests.
Today upper winds are S 15 at Brownsville and N 12 at Lake Charles. There
should be a pretty good display of passerine and other migrants on the
upper Texas and Louisiana coasts but again I have seen no reports.
Brownsville is again showing a "halo" figure indicating that birds are
overflying the NEXRAD station and continuing. They are headed straight N up
the coast. No other stations were showing approaching trans-Gulf migrants
at noon.

The forecast is for a couple of days of rainy weather tomorrow and
Wednesday so migrant birding should be rewarding for the first half of the
week.

John C. Arvin
Research Associate
Gulf Coast Bird Observatory