[texbirds] Re: Green Parrots

  • From: Dell Little <dellel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: endersgt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 08:33:45 -0500

Tom,
        There are several populations of Monk Parakeets Myiopsitta monachus
(green in color) established in Dallas and Tarrant counties. To be honest I'm
not sure exactly where all the populations currently are. Historically
northwest of White Rock Lake damn or the Fish Hatchery is one location. Near
you in Grand Prairie, there is a small population at Kennedy Middle School
Football Stadium at Acosta and 303. Also in Arlington at the Sherry St. Sub
Station just north of 303 is a another small group. I don't know wether
"significant" is appropriate. If their sighting was put into eBird, that
wouldn't hurt. Green Parakeets Psittacara holochlora have native populations in
the Rio Grande Valley but no populations away from there (to my knowledge)

Dell Little
Arlington, Texas
"Excellent Birds"