[texbirds] Re: Green Parrots

  • From: "Imre Karafiath" <kossuth@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TexBirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 19:44:51 -0500

I don't know about the State Fair. However I do know that Monk Parakeets
appeared on Long Island, N.Y. in the early 1970's as a result of an
accidental release of birds at JFK airport. At the time, the local Audubon
Societies, fearing another house sparrow or starling,  were advocating
extirpation of the species. In South America they are (or were) a major
agricultural pest. And I recall reading stories in the local paper about the
destruction of  ornamental plants by these birds - some homeowners were
extremely upset. Fortunately, the population has not grown in the
exponential manner that some feared.
Imre Karafiath
Denton