[texbirds] Re: FYI: Artie Richard

  • From: tony <hurricanetg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "jkestner@xxxxxxxxxx" <jkestner@xxxxxxxxxx>, Tex Birds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 11:24:12 -0500

to be more clear, not my father, passing along the obituary of birder and
friend, resident of my hometown, Artie Richard, as written by his daughter . . .

tony gallucci
ingram/kerrville/hunt, texas

============> Arthur Edward Richard JrIt is my duty, with a broken heart to
inform you all that our Dad, Artie Richard,80, passed away Sunday morning,
September 20, 2015 in Kerrville Texas. It was sudden and I am told he did not
suffer but it doesn't make it any easier to say goodbye. Dad was born in 1934
and raised on Bevy Ct. Although born to wonderful parents he would often say
he was raised by Molly, his grandmother, a tough woman who meant business.
Also on Bevy his younger sister Pattie and assorted relatives at one time or
another thru the years. After graduating from Brooklyn Prep and working at
Lord and Taylor he joined the Army and was stationed in Germany for several
years where he met and fell in love with Hannelore and brought her back to
Brooklyn to become his wife. After a year Teri was born and 2 years later a
son Artie Jr. They moved to a 4 room bungalow at 23 Bartlett Place in 1964
and made it a cozy, loving home for kids, friends of kids, dogs, cats,
iguanas and cockatie
ls too. Dad worked many jobs, to name a few, as a waiter at McQuillens,
Burns Detective Agency, a candy factory and also the Brooklyn Navy Yard. He
drove a cab for 2 years and landed a job as bus operator for the TA in 1969
and made dispatcher within 7 years. With all this "free time" Dad was
Scoutmaster of Troop 776 of St. James Lutheran Church and Mom collected dues
money and took attendance. They helped all the scouts achieve numerous merit
badges and all the camping trips were well attended. Once they discovered
birds and fell in love with them they got away every chance they could to
track down life birds for their ever growing list and rare birds too. Not
long after, Mom learned how to handle and care for wild birds under Arline
Thomas' tutelage and was licensed by the US Department of Fish and Wildlife
to continue the work with Dad by her side. Once they got up close to hawks
and owls they wanted to learn everything about them. So they studied bird
banding from Master
banders and made this their passion and true life's work. While criss
crossing the country they fell in love with Texas Hill Country. So after 20
years at the TA Mom and Dad pulled up stakes and set off for their new home
state in 1989. They spent 14 glorious years chasing birds and learning about
every single hummingbird, butterfly, flower, plant, insect and all other
wonders of Nature. My parents have the honor of banding 14,000 hummingbirds
in the great state of Texas, a record I believe still stands. After Mom
passed in 2003 life got a lot less colorful for Dad. He spent the rest of his
time as a solitary Man. He still loved the world of Nature but didn't get the
same kick from it. He still enjoyed his books and kept up with his interest
in history. He enjoyed his movies on TV and kept in touch with everyone by
computer. He looked forward to visits from his kids and grandkids, but never
got to meet his first Great Grandchild. I know he is with Mom now and happy
once aga
in. I find comfort in this, knowing he will never be far from our thoughts
and knowing that he can never be taken from us again. Rest easy Daddy… I love
you always...
The family has chosen to take this time to reflect on Artie's life and no
services will be held.

forwarded by
hurricanetg@xxxxxxxxxxx