[texbirds] Re: FYI: Artie Richard

  • From: Dell Little <dellel1119@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "hurricanetg@xxxxxxxxxxx" <hurricanetg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 20:03:32 -0500

As a younger man traveling with my dad in the Trans-Pecos region in the
80's or 90's (I don't remember) we we're fortunate to visit Davis Mountain
SP when the Richards were there. We found out they were banding and went
down to the Limpia Cr. area to visit their site. They showed me everything
they were doing as if I was in training. I leaned how to retrieve the birds
from the nets. What bands to use. The coding and measuring of primaries.
Holding a Varied Bunting in my hand was bliss. It was such a special
morning that after their invitation, I was able to talk my dad into
returning the next morning. I swore I would pursue banding. I haven't yet,
but maybe I still will. The Richards were such genuinely wonderful
teachers those two mornings.
I was very sad when I heard of Hanna's passing years back. Now I am sad
again. I only dream of growing old with the grace and passion for life as
they did. My life is still inspired by these two in the short time I was
around them.
Dell Little
Arlington & Cross Roads, TX

On Tuesday, October 13, 2015, tony <hurricanetg@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Arthur Edward Richard JrIt is my duty, with a broken heart to inform you
all that our Dad, Artie Richard,80, passed away Sunday morning, September
20, 2015 in Kerrville Texas. It was sudden and I am told he did not suffer
but it doesn't make it any easier to say goodbye. Dad was born in 1934 and
raised on Bevy Ct. Although born to wonderful parents he would often say he
was raised by Molly, his grandmother, a tough woman who meant business.
Also on Bevy his younger sister Pattie and assorted relatives at one time
or another thru the years. After graduating from Brooklyn Prep and working
at Lord and Taylor he joined the Army and was stationed in Germany for
several years where he met and fell in love with Hannelore and brought her
back to Brooklyn to become his wife. After a year Teri was born and 2 years
later a son Artie Jr. They moved to a 4 room bungalow at 23 Bartlett Place
in 1964 and made it a cozy, loving home for kids, friends of kids, dogs,
cats, iguanas and cockatie
ls too. Dad worked many jobs, to name a few, as a waiter at McQuillens,
Burns Detective Agency, a candy factory and also the Brooklyn Navy Yard. He
drove a cab for 2 years and landed a job as bus operator for the TA in 1969
and made dispatcher within 7 years. With all this "free time" Dad was
Scoutmaster of Troop 776 of St. James Lutheran Church and Mom collected
dues money and took attendance. They helped all the scouts achieve numerous
merit badges and all the camping trips were well attended. Once they
discovered birds and fell in love with them they got away every chance they
could to track down life birds for their ever growing list and rare birds
too. Not long after, Mom learned how to handle and care for wild birds
under Arline Thomas' tutelage and was licensed by the US Department of Fish
and Wildlife to continue the work with Dad by her side. Once they got up
close to hawks and owls they wanted to learn everything about them. So they
studied bird banding from Master
banders and made this their passion and true life's work. While criss
crossing the country they fell in love with Texas Hill Country. So after 20
years at the TA Mom and Dad pulled up stakes and set off for their new home
state in 1989. They spent 14 glorious years chasing birds and learning
about every single hummingbird, butterfly, flower, plant, insect and all
other wonders of Nature. My parents have the honor of banding 14,000
hummingbirds in the great state of Texas, a record I believe still stands.
After Mom passed in 2003 life got a lot less colorful for Dad. He spent the
rest of his time as a solitary Man. He still loved the world of Nature but
didn't get the same kick from it. He still enjoyed his books and kept up
with his interest in history. He enjoyed his movies on TV and kept in touch
with everyone by computer. He looked forward to visits from his kids and
grandkids, but never got to meet his first Great Grandchild. I know he is
with Mom now and happy once aga
in. I find comfort in this, knowing he will never be far from our
thoughts and knowing that he can never be taken from us again. Rest easy
Daddy… I love you always...
The family has chosen to take this time to reflect on Artie's life and no
services will be held.

forwarded by
tony gallucci
ingram/kerrville/hunt, texas