[texbirds] FYI: Artie Richard

  • From: tony <hurricanetg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tex Birds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 11:10:12 -0500

Arthur Edward Richard JrIt is my duty, with a broken heart to inform you all
that our Dad, Artie Richard,80, passed away Sunday morning, September 20, 2015
in Kerrville Texas. It was sudden and I am told he did not suffer but it
doesn't make it any easier to say goodbye. Dad was born in 1934 and raised on
Bevy Ct. Although born to wonderful parents he would often say he was raised by
Molly, his grandmother, a tough woman who meant business. Also on Bevy his
younger sister Pattie and assorted relatives at one time or another thru the
years. After graduating from Brooklyn Prep and working at Lord and Taylor he
joined the Army and was stationed in Germany for several years where he met and
fell in love with Hannelore and brought her back to Brooklyn to become his
wife. After a year Teri was born and 2 years later a son Artie Jr. They moved
to a 4 room bungalow at 23 Bartlett Place in 1964 and made it a cozy, loving
home for kids, friends of kids, dogs, cats, iguanas and cockatiels too. Dad
worked many jobs, to name a few, as a waiter at McQuillens, Burns Detective
Agency, a candy factory and also the Brooklyn Navy Yard. He drove a cab for 2
years and landed a job as bus operator for the TA in 1969 and made dispatcher
within 7 years. With all this "free time" Dad was Scoutmaster of Troop 776 of
St. James Lutheran Church and Mom collected dues money and took attendance.
They helped all the scouts achieve numerous merit badges and all the camping
trips were well attended. Once they discovered birds and fell in love with them
they got away every chance they could to track down life birds for their ever
growing list and rare birds too. Not long after, Mom learned how to handle and
care for wild birds under Arline Thomas' tutelage and was licensed by the US
Department of Fish and Wildlife to continue the work with Dad by her side. Once
they got up close to hawks and owls they wanted to learn everything about them.
So they studied bird banding from Master banders and made this their passion
and true life's work. While criss crossing the country they fell in love with
Texas Hill Country. So after 20 years at the TA Mom and Dad pulled up stakes
and set off for their new home state in 1989. They spent 14 glorious years
chasing birds and learning about every single hummingbird, butterfly, flower,
plant, insect and all other wonders of Nature. My parents have the honor of
banding 14,000 hummingbirds in the great state of Texas, a record I believe
still stands. After Mom passed in 2003 life got a lot less colorful for Dad. He
spent the rest of his time as a solitary Man. He still loved the world of
Nature but didn't get the same kick from it. He still enjoyed his books and
kept up with his interest in history. He enjoyed his movies on TV and kept in
touch with everyone by computer. He looked forward to visits from his kids and
grandkids, but never got to meet his first Great Grandchild. I know he is with
Mom now and happy once again. I find comfort in this, knowing he will never be
far from our thoughts and knowing that he can never be taken from us again.
Rest easy Daddy… I love you always...
The family has chosen to take this time to reflect on Artie's life and no
services will be held.

forwarded by
tony gallucci
ingram/kerrville/hunt, texas