[texbirds] Government Canyon, ADA Trail, September 27

  • From: "Stevan Hawkins" <shawkins4@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <satxbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 13:34:09 -0500

SATXBirders:

I did the September 27 edition of the 4th Sunday Bird Hikes on September 27.
The highlight of the day was the intensive trail work that had been done on
Saturday. The ADA trail is now quit easy to follow. What awaits now are
the improvements that will make it an all-weather trail. After waiting till
8:50 for my public, I took off down the trail. The vast majority of the few
birds were audible only: Northern Cardinal, Bewick's Wren, White-eyed
Vireo, Mourning Dove, Common Raven, Northern Mockingbird. I returned to the
headquarters at 10:55, and added the mockingbird at 10:54. The neatest part
of the day was the Common Ravens talking to each other. As to what purpose
that chatter was, I don't know except that there was no indication of
begging to an abandoning parent. The puzzle of the day was the very low
level of bird sound. This may have been due to late September being a time
of year when birds don't do a whole lot, it may have been due to September
27 being an abnormally hot day, some sort of combination of both, or
something I haven't thought of yet.

The next 4th Sunday Bird Hike will be on October 25. No matter how inviting
I may have made the ADA trail sound, it should be treated as an Authorized
Personnel Only trail until it is officially open to the public. I look
forward to sharing this trail with you.

Onward!

Steve

Stevan Hawkins