[texbirds] Re: Common Crane

  • From: Eric Carpenter <ecarpe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 17:40:16 -0600

For better or worse, this forum is not the most useful for getting
real-time updates on sightings for stuff like Common Crane.  Though I
can understand one's resistance to join Facebook, groups on Facebook
are currently the most useful in general for hearing about such
rarities (and for seeing photos) and for getting timely, often
in-the-field, updates.  eBird is also quite useful in that you can set
up alerts to tell you, within the hour, about birds that have been
seen.  Both eBird and Facebook have mobile apps that are more
conducive to real-time updates than a listserv.

An option that you can also check that doesn't require you to sign up
for something is the (free) TX RBA put out by the folks at NARBA.  You
can see updates on this page:

     http://narba.org/texas-rba

You might notice there that 6 of the 7 sources (this forum being the
7th) they list at the top are either Facebook or eBird related.

--
Eric Carpenter
Austin