[techtalk] Re: Look, I'll sort myself a laptop soon, honest...

  • From: Greg Webb <greg.webb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 13:11:30 +0000

Paul Ferguson wrote:
> If you can afford one, the IBM Thinkpads are very good IMHO.
>
> Work provided a T41 which rocks :) Luckily for me, it was one of the
> last IBM lappy's we bought before changing supplier.

Thanks for the recommendation. So far, I've found the branded laptops
rather difficult to source with slightly unusual specs - I have and
listen to more music than is really credible, hammer memory and need XP
Pro for work. If possible, I want a wide TFT and a numeric keypad...

If I go to the direct suppliers (Dell included here), I can sort the
memory, drive and OS without problems. If not, I haven't yet found a way
  that seems to work. Pity, as I found some nice looking Fujitsu
machines but I just can't get the spec I need.

> We now use Dell and I have to admit, I'm not impressed with them
> at all :(

Sorry to hear that. We've got a bunch of dell desktops and servers and
have had no troubles at all, and 3 of their laptops. The oldest laptop
caused some problems a few years ago but the 2 new ones are great. Why
don't you like them?

--

Greg               <><

Last words of a Windows user: Why does that work now?