[techtalk] Re: Celeron ?

  • From: "Gary Colville" <ramtop@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 00:21:49 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Ferguson" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "TechTalk" <techtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, May 16, 2004 9:15 PM
Subject: [techtalk] Re: Celeron ?

> I know that the P4 would be better but wasn't sure if a 533 would run at
> all on the 400 FSB board - hence the question :)

It'll run fine.

> I was going to post asking for suggestions for a mobo but, as you
mentioned
> it - I need recommendations for a Duron capable board.

My favourite board right now is the Jetway N2PAP Ultra (which is also sold
as the Lex BNNF2). It's very cheap, quick and totally solid and unfussy. The
various Gigabytes are good if you need more features than the Jetway
provides.

> It may well end up as a Linux box so I'm after one with a "tried and
tested"
> chipset that doesn't require any kernel recompiling to make it work (I
wouldn't
> know how to compile a kernel if it bit me on the ass ;)

I know how to do it off by heart having done custom kernels for Amithlon and
the AmigaOne. Compiling a kernel is actually very, very easy. Getting the
system to use that kernel is another, less happy, story :(

--
:::: Gary Colville :::::: Mail : ramtop@xxxxxxxxx ::::