[TechAssist] Re: magnavox fluid changing

  • From: gulftech@xxxxxxxx
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 08:40:06 -0600

Perry,

I hope this doesn't spark a debate the size of a microwave oven, but I
must disagree with you.  I have changed the fluid both ways.  I will
never again remove the crt unless for replacement.  You are wrong to
state that the face of the crt cannot be cleaned and no flakes are left.
You must be referring to those who merely suck out the old fluid and add
new.  That is an unacceptable practice.  What I practice is, after fluid
extraction, lens removal and cavity and crt face cleaning, lens
replacement, and fluid renewal.

As to the charge, this shop charges $100 for one tube, $50 for each
additional tube, including fluid.  $375 for one tube, for a Magnavox?
With new PTV's selling for $700?  I couldn't make it.  I do appaud you
for reminding us that optical fluid renewal isn't just like an oil
change; dump and fill.

Respectfully,

Ken Smith
Gulf Technical Services
3034 Gulf Breeze Parkway
Gulf Breeze, FL  32563
850-934-8324 (Voice) 850-932-0819 (Fax)

On Fri, 8 Feb 2002 04:02:51 -0500 "Electric Medic"
<info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Please do not use a syringe.  You have to remove each tube, clean
> the tube
> face good, replace gaskets, and fluid. If you try to use a syringe,
> you will
> leave flakes, and you can not clean the face of the tube that way.
> We do the
> job all the time. Takes about 2 hours, and we charge $375. If you
> shortcut,
> you will have spots, and a very dissatisfied customer, not to
> mention the
> picture will not be as clear. If the customer challenges you on the
> repair,
> and takes it somewhere else, it could make your shop look very bad.
>
> Perry Bower
> Electric Medic
> "It's Cheaper to Keep Her"
> 3850 Washington Road  Suite 5b
> Martinez, Georgia 30907
> Phone: 706-8MEDIC4  (863-3424)
> Phone: 706-863-3474
> Fax: 706-863-2316
> Website: www.electricmedic.com
> mailto:info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> "WE REPAIR WITH CARE"
> More Info:
> www.augusta-ga.bbb.org/report.html?compid=6001278&national=y
>
> Factory Trained Authorized Service Center For:  Fisher, GE, KEC/KTV,
> Konka,
> Mitsubishi, Panasonic, Philips Magnavox, Pioneer, ProSCAN, RCA,
> Samsung,
> Sanyo, Sharp, SONY, Technics, Zenith
>
> Provide Extended care for: AON, Circuit City, GE Contracts, Glass
> Agency,
> Philips Contracts, NEW, Rex

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.