[TechAssist] Re: magnavox fluid changing

  • From: walter wood <wwood_38478@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 08:02:31 -0800 (PST)

I never remove the tubes. I have a very large horse
needle(we live on a farm and have animals) with a
piece of tubing attached instead of an actual shot
needle.Remove the projector assy.
Remove the expansion chamber. Be sure no fluid gets
on the boards. pack around with paper towels.
Suck the old fluid out, down to below the level
that the fluid won't leak out when you remove the
concave plastic cover.
Then remove (carefully, O-ring) the cover.
Now you are down to the glass over the face of the
crt.
Clean everything up with windex, and/or alcohol,
and paper towels.
Put the cover back on, and fill with fluid.
I use the horse needle (cleaned up, or another one)
to suck the fluid out of the bottle and pump it
back into the crt.
It's eaiser to see how full (or empty), with the
projectors off.
Let sit, check for leaks.
Completely re assemble and check for leaks some
more with the set running and HOT.
The problems that this stuff can cause when it gets
on a board are serious, and one CANNOT be too
careful with this caustic, conductive fluid.
I'm not quite sure that just sucking the fluid out
and puttung in new would not be ok.
After all, most of these sets are 6 to 10 years old
when the picture gets bad enough, and I can't see a
6 year old projo lasting another 6 years.
It's sorta like finding a small benign tumour in an
80 year old patient.
Why operate?, the odds are that the patient will
die from something other than the tumour. (personal
experience)
I've done about 20 fluid changes like this in the
last 3 years and have had NO problems.
HTH
Walter

--- DivnStormySeas@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Standard Time,
> jmauch@xxxxxxxxx writes:
>
> << Is there an easier way to replace the CRT
> Coolant Fluid other than removing
>  the crt's.  I heard from someone that you can
> use a syringe or something and
>  vacuum the old fluid out. Does anyone know if
> this is possible?
>   >>
> Not only is it possible, its really quite simple.
> I use a turkey baster with
> a small length of rubber tube which allows you to
> get to the corners of the
> CRT to get all the fluid out. Just unscrew the
> expansion chamber to gain
> access to the fluid without removing CRT. After
> the CRT is drained remove the
> lenses and clean the orafice out, put lense
> assembly back together and
> refill! ALWAYS put a towel down over the
> motherboard ( if applicable) in case
> the CRT leaks.
> Good luck
> Carl