[TechAssist] Re: Zener Diode ID

  • From: Jim Myers <jr.myers@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 19:18:37 -0500

I have access to the service manual and neither the parts list or the
schematic gives a voltage rating. I assume from the parts list that the
diode in question is D055 which is on the ACTION key scan line, if this
is correct then the purpose of the diode is to protect the
microprocessor from a static discharge. If all this is true a 33 volt
zener would not make much sense so I would say it is a 3.3 volt zener,
the operating voltage for the micro is 3.3 volts and some of the other
pins have 5.1 volt zeners to ground for protection. You can of course
simply remove this diode for test purposes to see if it is causing a
problem. Don't try this at home kids!

Since 1972                     *
Jim Myers                      *
Telrad Electronics             *