[TechAssist] Re: Sony KV32FS12 BA5 no picture

  • From: "Damon" <damon101@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 08:30:04 -0500

There is something that might help to see if IK has feedback. Switch to
Video 1 with no signal on it. Scope the CRT cathodes looking for the IK
pulse and blanking pulse, when you see it, adjust the screen control up and
down a bit---you should see the IK pulse shift up and down too, along with
the Cathode voltage's black/cutoff level.....if there is feedback you should
see the IK pulse height and the CRT cathode voltage shift higher/lower as
you adjust the screen voltage.....the cathode voltage will try to cutoff the
tube and the IK will try to find the conduction/cutoff point if it is
properly "feeding back" to the video IC.

It just means the path is working, not that all components are right on
target....my experience has been the video jungle may be bad, BUT  there is
the possiblility too (on some Sony sets) that if there is a standup board
labled B-something  (BR? BK?) that may affect video......The FS series does
not have this board if memory serves me correctly, but we have had 2 PTVs
recently with bad BR(?) boards.

Now back to the problem.....higher cathode voltage, lower input voltage,
lower feedback voltage, initial thought is the screen voltage is too
high....I think it should be set around 300 - 350V , no more than 400 on an
older CRT. Set it for 325, I think that's what I normally see on these.
Now on this set, does the CRT output IC pass the IK pulse directly to the
video jungle (on the feed back loop) or does it pass thru an "IK buffer"
transistor....sometimes that transistor won't properly buffer, but its rare.

Damon Brunger
Telrad Electronics
Fort Wayne IN