[TechAssist] Re: RCA PTK169PGB P52738WK injected problem--I think

  • From: Gary McCartney <gary@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 13:13:15 -0500

Jeff, I'm not familiar with this situation. Are you saying that having
the CRT modules disconnected when running the set will cause the
convergance chips to blow? How about on a CTC178 chassis, will the same
thing happen? The CTC178 I've been working on has been fired up without
the CRT boards on. The vertical ouput IC smoked but I haven't found out
why yet. I hope I don't have any convergance damage besides. (I only
work on this set when caught up with other work).

Thanks.

Gary McCartney

McCartney Electronics
7134 Fife Rd, RR 7
Guelph Ontario Canada N1H 6J4
Fax: (519)821-1530
email: gary (at) number63.ca

Lyles Tv wrote:

> Jeesh--I can blame this one on the telephone--kinda.  Set came in
> dead--chirps.  I replaced all the normal (for me) parts in the PS and HOT
> circuit.  Set fired up fine and played for2 days while I waited for the HV
> splitter to arrive, as I allways replace these on virgin sets to eliminate
> repeats.  While replacing it, I pulled off the red crt module to give me more
> room to work with---big mistake---between the time I started to replace the
> splitter, and finished reinstalling it, I had 3 phone calls.  Of course this
> eliminated my "Don't forget the crt module" post it note  I put in my
> mind----gone.  I fired it up with the module off and the first thing I notice
> is that is out of convrgence (horizontal) and in the next instant realize
> that there is no red.  I immediatly assume I had crushed the red anode lead
> in the splitter (even though this is an original replacement and normally
> this don't happen with those)  I pull the red anode to see no problem, and
> only then notice the
>  red crt module laying there.  Reassemble all and still have no horizontal
> convergence.  red and blue move, but are to far out to be pulled in.   I have
> 11VDC going into pins  of the 3 amp IC's on the convergence board (U8201,
> 202, 203) but nothing coming out.  Before I pull the schematics--I am fishing
> for a common problem first.
> TIA
> Jeff
> Lyles TV and Appliance