[TechAssist] Re: Philips 50P8341 ( PTV915 ) shuts off in 6 hours. save SSB settings before replacing?

  • From: "Electric Medic" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 21:52:53 -0400

Phil: Usually changing the SSB does not require alignment. Maybe slight
touchup in customer Multipoint, but not service menu. I have changed over 50
and maybe a third required convergence alignment or Geometry thru Service
Menu. All of those I did by eye. I have never used a template or strings and
tape on any PTV ever and the set usually looks better than what the factory
puts out. Just go to Circuit City and look at some of the new ones, mine
look better than some of them. Just cover the red and blue tube and put tv
on channel with text scrolling at bottom like CNN and set your green
geometry and size that way, then uncover each tube one at a time aligning
each to the green and you're done. Now changing the LSB for some reason
causes bad convergence and lots of convergence alignment for some reason. I
haven't figured that out yet, but..I hate changing the LSB because it always
needs alignment. Why, I don't know since the memory is on the SSB? Also,
while we are talking about Philips, I hate the new DPTV Philips sets, that
replaces those PTV915, the SSB doesn't fail anymore but the LSB and SSM does
and is a Monster to replace and align. Torx screw everywhere, and ribbon
cables and brackets all over the place. Also, the Tubes are leaking in those
new sets and cause all sorts of false problems that make you think boards
are bad. The leaks are so slight it is hard to see too. Also, I have already
seen weak tubes on the DPTV sets after fixing a dead set, the tubes are
purple. And guess what they are just coming out of warranty so the customer
gets mad at us. Trouble is all these new sets are. Also the boards are
outrageous priced and you better hope you don't miss diagnose it. These are
cheap sets too that Wal-Mart and all our selling. They are failing like
crazy and the symptoms never tell you for sure what board is bad. I have had
a bad LSB or a Bad SSM from those Chirping Dead sets.

Perry Bower
Electric Medic
"It's Cheaper to Keep Her"
http://www.electricmedic.com