[TechAssist] Re: STK 392-110 testing

  • From: "Leonard Caillouet" <lcaillo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 22:56:11 -0400

I have been replacing output ICs for many years and have never believed this
to be true.  There are cases where it makes sense to change both.  If I can
identify the bad one and there is no other reason to change the second, I
don't unless the client chooses to do so.  In the Sony sets, some can be
impractical to troubleshoot to a single chip.  Others, like the ones with
the two 4278s on the same heat sink, require both because removing one
without removing the other is not possible and damage to the pins inside the
chip is likely when getting them off of the heat sink.

I have never found the second chip to fail anytime soon after replacing the
first in the sets where we replace only the defective.

Leonard Caillouet
Service Manager
Electronics World
Gainesville, FL