[TechAssist] Re: Need Sony Salvage Unit

  • From: "Tel-Tek Electronics" <teltek3@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 13:27:32 -0500

Here's the law as it was written.
You must give the customer a Receipt (Claim Check) when you accept the unit.

You have a right to withhold the unit if the customer does not produce a
Receipt (Claim Check) when picking up the unit.

If the customer has no Receipt (Claim Check), you are not liable for
replacement.

A Receipt (Claim Check) is binding between both parties, protects you and
protects customer.

As far as not resposible for Theft or Fire, while the unit is under your
control and you have a Fire or Theft...make sure your Insurance is up to
date, you are liable.

If you and the Customer carry in a set from his Vehicle, you are liable if
it is dropped or damaged.

There are a few variances on this, but this is the law as it stands in
Canada at this time.

So the person that is accused of losing or scrapping a Sony Stereo that was
left for a year, if the guy can not produce a Receipt (Claim Check)...tell
his Lawyer to pound sand, because the customer has no Legal claim without
the Claim Check.

Putting some of these sign in you're shop such as "Not Responsible for Items
left over 90 Days....forget about it. If you have no receipt of a Registered
Letter that was sent or Refused by the customer, you have no Legal right to
Discard or Sell his unit. Don't say you phoned him numerous times, no
answer, or Customer said Sell it, if he has his Claim Check, the unit
belongs to him, unless you have a signature or form that states he has
reliquished all rights.
    75 to 90 % it never comes to this, but protect yourself. Also make a
note on the "CUSTOMERS" Claim Check, if unit came in with accesories such as
Remote Control, Cables, Tape..etc.

-Ed-