[TechAssist] Re: Factory security requirements for service facilities

  • From: peter kowalik <pe.kow@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 22:22:31 -0500

Damon the ground strap is not to protect you from an electrical shock. The point
has been missed by many-----you ground yourself to protect semi-conductors which
are static sensitive....isolation transformers are used to isolate the device
you are working on from the outside world....should one have a problem with a
power supply or the RF input on a hot chassis they would not wish to compound it
by trying to fire the set up on an un-isolated line causing a rather rapid
snap..a blown fuse ...shorted rectifiers...punched reg IC's...maybe even blown
print....the 1 meg ohm resistor in the ground strap would be of little benefit
to an IC particularly in colder climate areas where to remain comfortable there
is a need for a certain degree of heat which usually is accompanied by very dry
air.....some of the suggestions made in the earliest replies were very simple
basic and workable....I try not to throw any stones ....I've made many mistakes
in 30 years of service....peter