[TCUG] Re: Mounting signal heads on lighting columns

  • From: "Brunt Keith (ST)" <keithbrunt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 14:41:35 +0100

A few  of the London boroughs have tried it.
From my experience of trying to provide working solutions to out traffic
engineers it is not easy.

Firstly consider where the 'pole-top terminations' are to be located. An
alternative position for these terminations is critical to having a good
working solution which is not to become a maintenance nightmare in the
future. Locating these in one of the signal heads is far from ideal. A
second compartment in the column is the best way forward.
Secondly, considered the ancillary equipment such as AGD's, tactile and wait
transformers. These all need interconnections. The wiring should be self
contained and not loose, that is to say it should be multicore cable or the
like.
Thirdly, The electrical supply should be derived from the same source. This
way you will have a common isolation point for both the signals and the
lighting in event of a knock down. This will also ensure that 400v is never
achievable within the column.
Fourthly, always try to design the signal cabling so that the street
lighting column is on the end of the cable run.

Ownership falls under steetlighting and therefore the column must be fit for
purpose and spares should be readily available.

Keith
       Brunt.
Electrical Design Engineer
Transport for London - Street Management