[TCUG] Re: Mounting signal heads on lighting columns

  • From: Phil Scragg <Phil.Scragg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 14:27:18 +0100

Melvyn,
In Suffolk we have done this on several occasions around the county.

The signal companies have not been entirely happy I must say

The only problems really are
1) room in the column base compartment -- solution have a double bas
compartment use upper for signal connections, will still be tight working
space

2) and most Important mains supply phasing.

Network operator is normally very reluctant to guarantee a connection to a
particular phase so to ensure only 240 and Not 415 volts in the column you
need to be on the same phase. a solution we are using at a site in Ipswich
is to have a small feeder pillar adjacent to the signal cabinet with the
Network operator's supply cable which will feed the controller and then take
a separate cable from the feeder pillar to supply the column . this will
then be  a private cable in the ownership of the LA a disadvantage for
future maintenance but does guarantee 240 volts only in the column.

3) If more than one signal head on the column or if you require and extended
bracket for the RAG then you will probably require a heavy duty lighting
column.

Hope this helps

Regards
Phil Scragg
Electrical Services Manager ( Ex Signal maintenace manager)