[tcb] Re: motor discussion:

  • From: Will Wood <evilscientistboo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 09:44:13 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Your first question is how deep are your pockets?

First performance upgrade I always recommend is a counterweighted crank and a
balance on the rotating assembly.  Even in a 1600 this is excellent for a
smoother running engine that will run all day long.  A 1776 is a
great choice, easy on the budget.  If you go much beyond a 1776 then stock
heads start to become a limiting factor, etc.  Cams are always a good
discussion point too.  In a bus, I always like a cam that has more midrange for
freeway speeds.  When you're choosing a cam, what kind of rockers are you
running stock? 1.4s? 1.5s?  That adds up quickly.  So, how deep are your
pockets?