[tcb] Re: motor discussion:

  • From: Sammie Smith <slsmith@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 11:20:51 -0500

The folks at Oakhill Auto in Longview are real believers in an engine that they build that I call a 2 liter. It's like 2004 and it's a great all-around engine. For a basic long block complete for this engine you are talking about $2,000. When you add in the carbs and other appendages you are talking about right around $3,000. Will's right: How fast do you want to go and how deep are your pockets. Personally I like Will's 1600 idea which is essentially what I run in my Baja and hope to get at least 75,000 miles out of the engine. Including carbs it would take right at $2,000 to have this engine in your car at today's prices.

At 09:44 AM 7/26/2006, you wrote:

Your first question is how deep are your pockets?

First performance upgrade I always recommend is a counterweighted crank and a balance on the rotating assembly. Even in a 1600 this is excellent for a smoother running engine that will run all day long. A 1776 is a
great choice, easy on the budget. If you go much beyond a 1776 then stock heads start to become a limiting factor, etc. Cams are always a good discussion point too. In a bus, I always like a cam that has more midrange for freeway speeds. When you're choosing a cam, what kind of rockers are you running stock? 1.4s? 1.5s? That adds up quickly. So, how deep are your pockets?