[tcb] Re: Denis' medical bills update.

  • From: sammie smith <bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 15:31:03 -0800 (PST)

Denis:  I thought it was cheap.  Unless you have had a hospital stay recently
most people don't know how ridiculous it is.  $10.000-$15,000 per day is not
unusual.  A major illness with ICU and stay 4-6 weeks you can easily exceed $1
million.  I am, or at least used to be, an accountant, CPA, Ph.D. all those
other letters behind my name, and I can tell you that the
accounting/billing/cost determination systems in hospitals makes no sense
whatsoever.  It's even worse than pricing seats on an airline.  And the
accountants for the hospitals can't explain it to you either.  The healthcare
system in the US needs total overhaul (and do not read political intent into
this) and ObamaCare is not the answer.  Did you know that some of the better
hospitals are built and owned by doctors?  Well, did you know that under
ObamaCare doctors are no longer able to own, build, or expand hospitals in
which they have an equity interest unless they owned them prior
 to December 31, 2010.  One of the leading orthopedic hospitals in East Texas
is owned by a group of doctors and they were planning a $34 million expansion
which is now on hold under ObamaCare.  They have filed a lawsuit against the
feds claiming this provision in the new health care law is unconstitutional.
Maybe one day we will get health care straightened out, but I don't think I
will live that long.

Sorry for venting but cost of health care touches a nerve.