[talks-uk] Re: When will Talks work with OVI Maps?

  • From: Neil Barnfather - TalkNav <forums@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: talks-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 15:27:44 +0000

Graham,

Do you know factually that Humanwear is releasing a FW update to the Breeze
that allows for point to point navigation from anywhere to anywhere? I've not
seen them advertise this fact yet and as far as I knew for now the Breeze is
only for routes that you've previously walked or entered.

In terms of competitive software to Geo, which as you rightly say only works on
Windows Mobile v6.5 and below, the software isn't that badly priced at £595
including MS, which if you already have a copy of this brings the cost of Geo
down to £505.

There are a good number of Windows Mobile v6.5 devices out there still, and
Microsoft have committed to servicing the product for a further year or more,
so hopefully this will cross over with the introduction of accessibility
features / applications for Windows Phone 7.

I agree that the ready availability of Windows Mobile v6.5 phones from carriers
has reduced notably, but they are still out there, and if not you can buy them
quite easily off line or second hand through eBay etc very cheaply. which could
make the cost of a Geo package very much in line with a Breeze solution. take
for example this HTC phone I have just seen on eBay for the purpose of this
posting, Windows Mobile v6.5, nearly new phone, mint condition, £60, add this
to £595 and you're at £655, for a fully accessible, top of the line blind GPS
product with all the bells and whistles.

With the £250 rebate from Access that many of us have in our pockets right now,
this isn't such a harsh investment.

Then the alternative, OVI Maps with MS support, good quality solution,
excellent maps, although this does lack the around you option.

I'd be very interested to see what GPS receiver Kapsys put into the Kapten+, as
the original choice for the Kapten was a Surf3 chipset, which are known to be
very poor for pedestrian use, and during various field trials in urban built up
areas we had significant issues with the original Kapten.

thanks.

Neil Barnfather
TalkNav
www.talknav.com
On 25 Nov 2010, at 13:47, Graham Page wrote:

HI Amie.

As far as the trekker is concerned, it currently does not calculate routes
other than between points of interest or favourites that the user has entered.
there is about to be a new software version released which will allow this to
happen.  I know Humanware have not announced this yet but given the fact that
the  full trekker  is no longer produced as they cannot find a PDA that works
with it, this is a fairly understandable progression.

I know of course that Neil Barnfather needs to market his business but, with
the launch of Windows Mobile version 7 my question is how long will new phones
running windows mobile version 6.5 be produced for?  Sadly Microsoft have done
a bad job with windows 7 for mobiles in that it is not accessible and all the
indications, including comments from Microsoft, suggest that accessibility of
the windows 7 mobile platform is at least 18 months away.  So, Mobile Geo from
code factory is a good package.  It works well and it could be a good solution
though buying it along with a windows mobile phone could be quite costly.

On to your question about what you get with devices like the Trekker Breeze or
Mobile Geo that you do not get with Ovi Maps or similar.  Well, the standard
programs assume you can see where you are so you will not get information about
places of interest near you or a description of a large road junction.  Instead
you may get a direction like turn left in 150 yards.  I do not know whether or
not it is easy to get the name of the road you are on with OviMaps, but this
feature is probably generally of little use to sighted people most of the time
as of course they can read road signs.

Stuff is being developed for the IPhone as well though this is very  desirable
as well and may put you  in some danger of being mugged!  I am also interested
in the Captain Plus that has been mentioned here.  It will be interesting to
see what the price will be and how good a product it turns out to be.

Regards

Graham

Graham Page
Home Phone: 0207 265 9493