[talks-uk] Re: Help please retrieving lost phone contacts

  • From: "Hussein Patwa" <talks-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <talks-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 23:34:45 +0100

Hello All,

I just wanted to take a moment to feedback on the Exchange issue, which is
now fortunately resolved.

Firstly, fortunately none of my contacts or calendar entries were lost,
although there was a lot of duplication and recreation of entries with
differing amounts of completeness.  That's OK as I can easily delete the
duplicates and fill in the blanks where needed.  Some of the entries are on
the phone, some on the computer, and some on two different Exchange servers.

As for what happened, well this is still somewhat of a mystery. But from
what the Exchange and Nokia people can agree on, it seems the Exchange
account I was using was copied over to another server once my time at
University ended, and not moved as would normally be the case.  I was not
told of this.  I was then using two different sets of settings on both my
computer and phone, so different physical accounts were being synchronised
at different times and thus causing chaos when I later tried to set up the
account on my phone.

I was able to fix it all by creating a new calendar and contact list within
Outlook 2010, setting up each account in turn and copying the data from each
into the new and empty version on the local computer, and then merging the
two where needed.  Fortunately this is easier than it seems and there was a
helpful Microsoft support article that explained the process.

The University's version of the account has now been deleted, and so I'll
only be using the official MS settings from now on.

To get everything back to the phone I finally just synchronised with
Outlook's local copies using Nokia PC Suite, then copied everything back to
the Exchange account replacing what was there before.

A panic, a lot of frustration and international phone calls at random times
of the day and night, but at last it's sorted.

Anyway, thanks very much to everyone who offered help or suggestions.
Needless to say I'm going to start backing up on a more regular basis,
although at least I know an awful lot more about the workings of Exchange,
Outlook and the Nokia than I ever knew or even wanted to know before!

_______________________________________

Have a pleasant day,

Kind Regards and Best Wishes,

Hussein.