[studiorecorder] Re: Recording a big old file.

  • From: "ROB MEREDITH" <rmeredith@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <studiorecorder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 08:33:00 -0400

RP:

Gold Wave or Cool Edit won't be saving a wave file more than 2GB; I can =
guarantee it. Any wave file larger than 2GB is not properly formed. To =
extend this limitation, we need to find a different audio file format.

Sound Forge has a custom file format which can save files larger than 4GB, =
but I don't think the format is public.=20

The maximum file size possible under Windows 95/98/ME is in fact 4GB. =
2000/XP support a much larger file size, though I don't know the exact =
number.

I suspect Studio Recorder may support a different audio file format some =
day. As you might imagine, that day doesn't appear to be coming soon.

Note: if all you need to do is record for 4-5 hours, we can get you there =
with Studio Recorder. As long as the file doesn't have to be a single =
entity, you can use the Windows Scheduler to start another recording =
session at a specified time. This will open a new document window and =
begin recording. Of course, there will be a very small amount of material =
missing between the two files, but if you can live with such a glitch, you =
are set!

Rob Meredith

>>> snakeguy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx 10/11/04 08:04PM >>>
Hey Guys,
     Recently I have had occasion to make some rather long
recordings, as in 4 to 5 hours.  I have found that you can't do
that in stereo with sr because of a 2 gig file limit.  Is that a
computer setting that I can change?  If not, can you guys extend
the file limitation?  I ask this because it seems that in other
recorders such as cool edit or goldwave, longer files are handled.
I believe that the windows limitation is 4 gigs.  Hopefully, you
can tell me how to extend sr so that I can use a longer file.

Thanks in advance,
Rp
 =20