Re: [steem] TOS 2.06 bootup problem ...

  • From: "Steem Authors" <steem@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <steem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 17:08:40 +0100

Hi,

>  Since the last previous version of Steem (2.3, sorry I cannot remember if
things were differents with older versions) and equally with this verion
(2.4), I have observed a strange behaviour with the TOS 2.06 (and ONLY with
this version) :

> This behaviour happens, at first sight, with all differents languages
versions of this ROM.

> Here is a short description of what going on :
>
> The ATARI logo show up normally, followed by the memory test. Until here
that's ok.
> But, before the GEM desktop come up, (nothing has been drawn on the screen
yet, still a blank screen), I see a standard error dialog box filled with
this message "Failed to allocate window memory".
> This happens two times, then, comes up 3 bombs.
> The Steem application is not disturbed by this.

That's very odd, the only time I have ever seen anything like that is when
extended monitor is turned on and there isn't enough memory for it, but that
isn't what is happening for you. All my versions of TOS 2.06 work fine.

My only idea is it could be an ST virus or bootup program that isn't working
properly. Try removing all disk images from the drives, turning off all hard
drives and removing the cartridge (if you have one inserted). Now cold reset
(left click on reset) and run, if that doesn't work then I am very confused.

Good luck,
Russell Hayward

--
Steem - http://www.blimey.strayduck.com/