Re: [steem] Getting Steem to RUN

  • From: "Steem Authors" <steem@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Steem Discussion" <steem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 21:27:59 -0000

Hi,

> I have downloaded Steem (version 2) for Windows 95  and also UK versions
of
> TOS 1.02 and 2.06, using Internet Explorer 4.
> I have extracted the contents of the two Zip files into the same directory
> on the hard drive "D" of my ancient 486DX.

Unfortunately that PC is not powerful enough to run Steem, we still can't
figure out what the minimum requirements are but that is definately below
them. Probably need at least 200Mhz with a decent video card, but some
people have found that wasn't enough. There are a few ST emus that might run
on your PC, if you haven't already try PaCifiST or Gemulator. Neither of
them have MIDI unfortunately, so they might not be able to do the job you
want.

> Problem:
> If I double click on the file "steem.exe" it reports that it could not
open
> because a file "DINPUT.DLL" is missing. I have done a thorough search of
> all drives and cannot find this anywhere. Consequently, I downloaded Steem
> again from the net, in case the download had been corrupted but the result
> was the same. What do you think I have done wrong? (I have read all of the
> .txt files in the Steem folder and can find nothing there to explain the
> problem.)

Thanks for finding this out, Steem should be able to function without
DirectX but it seems I didn't check the latest version. I've fixed it so the
next version will be able to run without DX installed at all.

Sincerely,
Russell Hayward

Steem - http://www.blimey.strayduck.com/