Re: [steem] Atari Questionnaire

  • From: "Stephan Elsner" <stephan.elsner@xxxxxx>
  • To: steem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 14:12:58 +0100 (MET)

> Why not tell us about your own Atari story?

It's short because I'm to lazy to write down all in detail.
I got my first computer,  a ZX81 at age 12 and started BASIC programming
(because I had no games for 1K memory ;-)
15 moth later I bought a sinclair ZX spectrum with 48K and a few games.
Unfortunately none of my friends had a spectrum so I bought a Atari 800XL which
was far more popular here.
Around 1989 I got a 520ST+ (1Meg) with double sided disk drive.
This machine died as I tried to expand the memory to 4 megs with a soldering
iron.
As pc machines became more popular, I bought a new 1040STe for a very low
price.

> How many do you have? Which model?

I have one Atari 1040 STe mith SM124 left, I gave away the other ones.
It has a 200MB SCSI-HDD, 3 floppy drives (3,5" and 5,25") in an external
desktop case.
It is packed in a box since we moved 4 years ago ;-)

> How much do you like it?

a lot!

> Are you some of you not working in the computer industry now?

I work as a software developer for a small (25 people)  company.

> How do you still like to use them?

I try to run clean gem apps on an emulator (AranyM) and for games.

> What are your favourite programs/games?

Space Quest I + II
Dungeon Master
Ballerburg (german PD Game)