[startgroup] Re: START time frames

  • From: "Desmarais, Sarah" <sdesmarais@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <startgroup@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 10:32:52 -0700

Hi Mike,
In our service and in training we suggest that START assessments are conducted
every 3 months (as an outer limit) and that item ratings reflect what has
happened since the last START assessment, or the past 2-3 months for an initial
START assessment. Version 1.1 now provides some clarification regarding this
issue on pp. 25-26:

Time Frames

Any risk assessment should be anchored in an evaluation of relevant historical
factors. Although dynamic in nature, assessors are prompted to consider both
current and historical information in their START assessments. Strength and
vulnerability ratings of 0, 1, or 2 on the START items will normally be based
on functioning over the past two to three months or since the previous START
assessment. Key and critical items capture information regarding current or
past functioning which may be particularly relevant to treatment and risk
management planning. Identification of signature risk signs will require an
indepth review of historical information, but may describe current or past
functioning. Specific risk estimates will forecast over weeks to a maximum of
three months as specified in the START Time Frame. Current Management Measures
are also future-oriented, describing those strategies that will be used until
the end of the START Time Frame or as necessary (e.g., times of crisis,
transition, or other change in circumstance).

Sarah L. Desmarais, Ph.D.

Junior Research Scientist, Forensic Psychiatric Hospital
BC Mental Health & Addiction Services

Post Doctoral Research Fellow, School of Population and Public Health
Postdoctoral Teaching Fellow, Department of Psychology
University of British Columbia