[ssug-malappuram] Re: Fwd: Here is wat i was talking abt... (contd. BROKEN PGMS...!!)

  • From: "Praveen A" <pravi.a@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ssug-malappuram@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 07:52:17 -0700

2007/5/27, Mahesh M <maheshmukundan@xxxxxxxxx>:
Thats not the way people are used to in windows... Since they are the
majority, once they decide to change over to the  Free software, i think we
must provide them a safe, smooth and a pretty much 'used-to' kind of an
environment... thats all

OK. Lets do it then. As Anivar said earlier, some of the projects
(like xfce) also share your views and provide a binary installer. Lets
do it for other projects as well. Try making an LSB binary for vlc
http://www.videolan.org/ Let me know if you come across any issues.

i noticed it.... :-(

Good. Now we have two requirements

1) Freedom and
2) Ease of installation

If you want to achieve both, where would you start? a proprietory
application that is easy to install (RealPlayer) or a Free Software
application that is difficult to install (as you say, though I have
not come across any difficulty these days after starting with debian).

:) install my modem .... apt-get???

I guess usbserial driver is available only in a very new version
(2.6.18 I guess) of Linux, the kernel. It is just a matter of time it
will work out of the box (similar to the usb storage and ipod, it
doesn't used to work earlier and it works out of the box). May be you
could help here as well (Look into Anivar's comments about the modem
configuration, try it and he will help you if you face any troubles).

> I would like to hear everyone's view on this, would you still use Free
> Software if you get another software which is easier to use but can't
> share?

i would not. But their ideas may be used.... rt? if newbies find installing
it in this way is easier then ...?

Sure. We are doing it right? Lets know when vlc lsb binary is ready :-)

I was jus trying to get you the idea of how i felt the packages must be
distributed. I didnt think about the software as such that i was reffering
to. I didnt use it. I downloaded the plugin for totem instead.

http://wiki.binaryfreedom.info/index.php/Switching_to_GNU/Linux_FAQ#How_do_I_install_applications_on_GNU.2FLinux.3F

   *  No more hunting dozens of web pages for that "setup.exe".
   * No more pointless installation wizards that are subtly different
for every application.
   * No more Windows Genuine Advantage that sends information to
Microsoft, checking whether you're allowed to keep your system
up-to-date.

These and other Windows annoyances do not exist on GNU/Linux.

You plan to replicate all these as well so as Windows users feel at home?

I suggest you look into ReactOS seriously.

Friendly
Praveen
--
പ്രവീണ് അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്