[ssug-malappuram] Re: Fwd: Here is wat i was talking abt... (contd. BROKEN PGMS...!!)

  • From: "Mahesh M" <maheshmukundan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ssug-malappuram@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 10:27:23 +0530

On 5/28/07, Praveen A <pravi.a@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

2007/5/28, Mahesh M <maheshmukundan@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Check out this link
> http://www.real.com/linux/
> Install it and see...
> This is exactly wat i wanted
> An installation for all users....

would apt-get install realplayer hurt?

Thats not the way people are used to in windows... Since they are the
majority, once they decide to change over to the  Free software, i think we
must provide them a safe, smooth and a pretty much 'used-to' kind of an
environment... thats all

Its available with http://debian-multimedia.org/

> This is exactly wat i wanted
Good.

> Why is everything not this way???

Why isn't black white??? at least grey??

> You have to do nothing but to run this .bin file in trminal to install
it..
> I mean... Its damn easy man
> This is the kind of ease that peolpe want... OK?

Great.  Go ahead and make packages this way if you believe this is the
right way, nobody is stopping you.

> No dependency bla bla.. no tech of any kind..
> This is the way packages must  be distributed....

Sure. You could distribute packages this way too. If people find it
easier they will come to you. You could offer this kind of easy
packages to everyone, just register a project at
sourceforge/savannah/sarovar and put it there for download.

See in the Free Software community nobody commands, we do things which
we feel the right/best. If you believe this is the right way I am sure
more people will come to you and appreciate your efforts. I'm not
trying to discourage you.

> Praveen...
> I made the CD.. though some burn errors, i understood a lot of things...

Keep up the good work. That was exactly what I was expecting, learning
new things.

Friendly
Praveen
PS: May be you could get some idea of how packaging works this way
from here http://www.pixelbeat.org/docs/packaging.html

I thought  we were discussing about Free Software here. Did you gave a
moment's thought to why Real Player was not in the GNU/Linux
distributions?

The license says
"Helix DNA Technology Binary Research Use License

REDISTRIBUTION NOT PERMITTED"

I'm wondering what is your priority here (It is perfectly fine to have
other priorities). Can you give it to your best friend? If you can
share what is the most important thing you care about software then I
could understand your position and reply accordingly.

It continues ...

"2. LICENSE RESTRICTIONS.

a) You may not: (i) permit other individuals to
use the Software except under the terms listed
above; (ii) modify, translate, reverse engineer,
decompile, disassemble or use any other method
(including "clean room" development) to learn the
source code of the Software (except to the extent
that this restriction is expressly prohibited by
law); (iii) rent, lease, transfer, or otherwise
transfer rights to the Software or Documentation;
(iv) remove any proprietary notices or labels
on the Software or Documentation; (v) use
the Software to encode, reproduce or copy any
material or intellectual property You do not have
the right to encode, reproduce, or copy; (vi)
use the Software to develop any application that
has the capability of transcoding or converting
RealAudio or RealVideo Files into any other
file format ("Transcode" means to alter the
current encoding or form of media files that was
decoded from its original form, including by way
of example but not limited to by way of example
but not limited to: decompression of an audio or
video stream and recompression using a different
compression algorithm); or (vii) make available
to any third party the results of any evaluation
or testing of the Software by You under this
License. Any such forbidden use shall immediately
terminate Your license to the Software."

"
c) You may not use the Software in an attempt to,
or in conjunction with, any device, program or
service designed to circumvent technological
measures employed to control access to, or
the rights in, a digital media content file or
other work protected by the copyright laws of
any jurisdiction."

i noticed it.... :-(

This DRM and you have agreed not to break it. We, the DRM elimination
crew ( http://fci.wikia.com/wiki/Anti-DRM-Campaign ) would be sad to
see you joining hands with the same people, whom we are fighting with.

I wouldn't have minded to go all around the internet and figure out
how to install a program that respects my rights. Sorry boss, I don't
want this easy software. Freedom is worth a sacrifice (even though it
isn't a sacrifice in this particular case). I don't want to be
helpless and divided. I don't want to build walls to separate my
friends.

Can you tell me which was the other software for which you had great
trouble installing? What exactly was not working?

:) install my modem .... apt-get???

I would like to hear everyone's view on this, would you still use Free
Software if you get another software which is easier to use but can't
share?

i would not. But their ideas may be used.... rt? if newbies find installing
it in this way is easier then ...?

--
പ്രവീണ് അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്
Join The DRM Elimination Crew Now!

I was jus trying to get you the idea of how i felt the packages must be
distributed. I didnt think about the software as such that i was reffering
to. I didnt use it. I downloaded the plugin for totem instead.

The link is quite informative.... Everybody jus check
it<http://www.pixelbeat.org/docs/packaging.html>
Mahesh

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile,
But it doesnt take any to sit there with a dumb look on your face...
http://maheshmukundan.blogspot.com/