[sparkscoffee] Re: Revenge

  • From: Ron Ristad <ristad@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sparkscoffee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 16:15:38 -0500 (EST)

RG,
Just one comment. With a hand like you had you need to consider the implied
odds, which is just not the odds of you hitting a full house but the amount of
money you could win if you do. In this case most likely anybody who is betting
or calling has a flush, quite possibly the nut flush, and they would never
expect you to have a full house, meaning that hitting your full house would
give you a hand that could break them. So even though your odds of making a
full house was 22% the potential pay off is much greater. In other words it's
not a 22% or 1-5 odds that you will make your hand, but betting $60 to win $600
or more, which changes the odds to 2-1 in your favor.

This why a good poker player never thinks about winning or losing, but only how
they play the game, because if you play well then no matter how bad your luck
is, in the long run you will always win money. In this case you will only win
that hand approximately 1 out of 5 times, but when you do win you more than
make up for all the times you lost.