[sparkscoffee] Re: Fw: The Martian

  • From: Richard Freedland <gadaoman2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sparkscoffee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2015 12:01:53 -0400

RR,

This from the website you referred us to (torentz.eu): "Using BitTorrent is
legal, downloading copyrighted material isn’t. Be careful of what you download
or face the consequences."[emphasis added]

Of course downloading copyrighted books like "The Martian" via BitTorrent and
not paying for them is theft! Why do you think they call it piracy? You can
rationalize all you want, but at least be accurate when you rationalize.

As for not being able to get refunds for books you don't like, that might be
true in Costa Rica, but not here. Amazon, Barnes and Noble and our local
independent bookstore, Books and Books, all accept returns, provided that the
books are in new condition and resellable. (You don't tear out pages as you
read them, do you?). By the way, Amazon.com allows you to sample many books
(including "The Martian") before you buy them. Didn't you know that?

73,

Richard Freedland
Miami

Sent from my iPad.

On Sep 26, 2015, at 10:03 AM, Ron Ristad <ristad@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Richard,
When we used to pull into Chinese ports and the vendors came aboard with
pirate DVD's every member of the crew lined up to buy them and I never once
heard anybody ask a question like that.

The problem with your question is that downloading a book or song is not
theft. It's not even a crime under the law. You are confusing theft with
intellectual property rights. I learned all about the legal aspects of
intellectual property rights when I used to write and publish software.

I buy new books when they come out if I know the author. But I sometimes read
a dozen books a week which I start but never finish. Do you know of any
booksellers that give refunds if you don't like the book?