[sparkscoffee] Re: America's Obesity Epidemic Hits The Military: 1 in 5 Recruits "Too Fat To Fight"

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "sblumen123@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: sparkscoffee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2014 13:12:24 -0400 (EDT)

Lee
So much for patriotisim in America.

Comrade B

-----Original Message-----
From: Lee, NI7I <pixiehat@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: sparkscoffee <sparkscoffee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thu, May 29, 2014 1:10 pm
Subject: [sparkscoffee] Re: America's Obesity Epidemic Hits The Military: 1 in
5 Recruits "Too Fat To Fight"

I recall, shortly after Zumwalt      (forgive the spelling) took over as CNO,
and I was in the Navy,      you could get out on a "fat discharge".  They were
going
      after career sailors as well as us one term guys.  I remember
shipmates stocking up on twinkies and doughnuts try8ing to put on      those
extra pounds
      in order to qualify.

      Lee

      On 5/29/2014 5:30 AM, Ron Ristad wrote:

      Students      consume almost 400 billion junk food calories at school per
year,      equal to almost 2 billion candy bars and while the epidemic of
childhood obesity is not 'news' per se - for one big employer in      America,
it is a major problem. As Bloomberg        Businessweek reports, the number one
reason people        can’t join the military is that they’re overweight or
obese, and        "still too fat to fight." The problem is large for
active service members also with over 51% overweight (though      better than
the civilian population) as the DoD alone spends an      estimated $1 billion
per year for medical care associated        with "weight-related health
problems."

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-05-28/americas-obesity-epidemic-hits-military-1-5-recruits-too-fat-fight