[sparkscoffee] Re: America's Obesity Epidemic Hits The Military: 1 in 5 Recruits "Too Fat To Fight"

  • From: "Lee, NI7I" <pixiehat@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sparkscoffee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2014 10:09:51 -0700

I recall, shortly after Zumwalt (forgive the spelling) took over as CNO, and I was in the Navy, you could get out on a "fat discharge". They were going after career sailors as well as us one term guys. I remember shipmates stocking up on twinkies and doughnuts try8ing to put on those extra pounds

in order to qualify.

Lee

On 5/29/2014 5:30 AM, Ron Ristad wrote:
Students consume almost 400 billion junk food calories at school per year, equal to almost 2 billion candy bars and while the epidemic of childhood obesity is not 'news' per se - for one big employer in America, it is a major problem. As Bloomberg Businessweek reports <http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-05-23/the-u-dot-s-dot-military-says-childhood-obesity-is-hurting-enlistment>,*the number one reason people can’t join the military is that they’re overweight or obese, and "still too fat to fight."* The problem is large for active service members also with over 51% overweight (though better than the civilian population) as the DoD alone spends an estimated *$1 billion per year for medical care associated with "weight-related health problems*."

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-05-28/americas-obesity-epidemic-hits-military-1-5-recruits-too-fat-fight