[slackintosh-users] Re: Any testers?

  • From: Denise Bates <dbates@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: slackintosh-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 09:44:54 +1100

On 03/12/2011 07:40 AM, Derek B wrote:
New Slackware is on the way, and my Slackintosh box is mostly synched
to -current as of late November.  If there are still users and testers
out there, I bet we could hack a fresh release together.  The main
problems I've noticed:

I am still interested in running Slackintosh on my G4. I would be glad to help in bringing Slackintosh up-to-date (or at least a lot closer to Slackware-current). My programing skills are minimal, however. I offer some of my thoughts on the project........
-Recent versions of the browsers do not compile on ppc.  I use midori,
but maybe omitting seamonkey and firefox takes the project too far from
mainline Slackware
My "lampstand" G4 was my primary internet device while was on dial-up. I switched to WiFi, but so far I haven't succeeded in getting a USB WiFi dongle to work on the machine. If I ever solve the connection problem, I would prefer a full-featured browser.
-A recent OpenOffice is available for PPC, but LibreOffice is not.
Slackware does not include either, of course, so maybe it doesn't
matter.
My preferred word-processor is LyX, which was easy to compile on the G4. I could live without most of Libre/OpenOffice
features on a desktop (I use Impress presentations on my laptop).

I left Debian 5.0 for Slackintosh 12.1.  It was a great move.  My
SLiM/stumpwm/xfce4 setup is nearly perfect, and good ppc distros are
hard to find.  Are there enough of us to support Slackintosh?

I was unable to install Debian on to my G4, because of problems in configuring the NVidia driver. Although NVidia hardware works in a fashion on Slackintosh, it is clearly not running at its full potential. I guess that is just a drawback of closed-source equipment that I'll have to live with.

regards,

Denise Bates