[slackintosh-users] Re: Any testers?

  • From: John B <johnb316@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: slackintosh-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 00:01:04 -0500

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 5:44 PM, Denise Bates <dbates@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> ---snip---

> My "lampstand" G4 was my primary internet device while was on dial-up. I
> switched to WiFi, but so far I haven't succeeded in getting a USB WiFi
> dongle to work on the machine. If I ever solve the connection problem, I
> would prefer a full-featured browser.
>
>> -A recent OpenOffice is available for PPC, but LibreOffice is not.
>> Slackware does not include either, of course, so maybe it doesn't
>> matter.
>>

> Denise,

Apologies for hijacking the thread. However, when you started talking about
your inability to get a USB WiFi dongle to work with Linux, I had to jump
in. I recently purchased a USB wireless networking dongle for an iMac 700
MHz, vintage 2002 running OS X 10.3.9, from Other World Computing, based in
the USA. Here is a link to the dongle from Other World's website:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer%20Technology/MXP2802GU2/

Here is a link to the other wireless products from Newer Technology's web
site: http://www.newertech.com/products/wireless.php

The dongle I bought uses a Ralink chipset. Linux drivers are available as
part of the kernel. I may "borrow" it from the OS X computer and make it
work under Linux on a B&W G3 I have.

If you should decide to purchase this dongle, here is a link to a list of
international dealers that handle Newer Technology products:
http://www.newertech.com/inter_resellers.php

We should now return to our regularly scheduled topic, LOL! ;-)

Cheers,
John Babiak