[slackintosh-users] Re: Any testers?

  • From: Derek B <derekb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: slackintosh-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 20:45:42 -0400

Wow...that was a lot more interest than I expected to generate.  Here's
how I'll try to respond:

-First priority (by Monday?) is to generate rough bootable .iso images
for the majority of us users.  QT4 and recent versions of GTK2, XFCE4,
and xorg-server are probably the most significant upgrades I've made.  I
have 64-bit kernels, and I'll assume that the slackintosh-current
kernels will suffice for most of us on 32-bit boxes.

-The consensus, I think, is that KDE is unnecessary for now, and that
recent versions of Firefox and office software are available
elsewhere.  I shall assume that TeX is also best installed as TeXLive,
and I'll therefore not worry about tetex, either.  A working IcedTea
would still be nice, though.

-My system is more up-to-date than Slackintosh-current as of
mid-October, but it is not synched to the upcoming release of
Slackware...yet.  If our drafts of the installers work, then I hope
we can quickly bring whatever packages need updating to the appropriate
-current versions not long after the new release of Slackware drops.

Thanks for the replies, and if anyone wants to team up for the
compiling and pre-testing of .iso files, please let me know.  I suspect
yaboot-able cds will require some help and some...practice.

Cheers,
-derek, whose G5 has no cdrom drive