[SimpleMail-usr] Re: How can I adjust the font size in html mail view?

  • From: Kulwant Bhogal <kulwant.bhogal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: simplemail-usr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 14 Jun 2005 12:05:21 +0100

Hello Dennis, All,

-----Original Message-----
From: Dennis Smith [mailto:dennis48066@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 13/06/2005 21:37:19
Subject: [SimpleMail-usr] Re: How can I adjust the font size in html mail view?

>> Also, is there a way to speed up html view (with pictures)? I have ppc
>> datatypes installed for images but still html emails with images take a
>> while to display (CPU = 50MHz 060).

> Good grief, how long are you going to pester me with the short comings of
> Simplemail on the old A1200 Tower? Just teasing, but also making a
>  point.

Dennis, for a split second I can see the funny side of what you are saying,
but I am making a serious point also - the point being that I can save a
html email and display it in IBrowse - which also needs to download and
decode the images etc - and it always does it one hell of a lot quicker than
SimpleHTML does - and that's with IB running purely on 68k (incl image
decoding) whilst SimpleHTML I believe is making use of PPC datatypes for
image decoding which when running on the 240MHz PPC, decode one hell of a
lot faster than the 68060 can manage. So there are clearly some optimisations
that SimpleHTML could possibly make to make life a little more pleasant. This is
about running the same programs on the same hardware making as much
efficient use of that hardware as possible.

Whilst I appreciate it may be difficult to get SimpleHTML to be as optimised
as IB in displaying html, could another alternative be added to SM - and
that would be to allow html emails to be automatically loaded into the
users' configured browser?

I'm comparing apples with apples. I am well aware of the limitations of Classic
and "Next Gen" Amiga hardware having a Athlon 3200 XP/Radeon 9800 Pro based
PC as well. I am not comparing SimpleHTML running on a 50MHz 68060 with a
3.6GHz PIV based PC with 533MHz DDR2 RAM!!

It's my personal choice that I choose to use my Amiga for 99% of my internet
(IB)
and email (SM) needs.

Kind regards,

Kulwant