[SI-LIST] Re: why do I need mixed mode S parameters?

  • From: "Bill Beale" <beale@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vince_cavanna@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 22:10:07 -0700

Hi Vince,

The short answer to your question:
'Why do I need mixed mode S parameters?' is =20

YOU DON'T.

Mixed mode S-parameters are nothing more than a linear transformation of =
the
single ended S-parameters.  Therefore it is the transformation or the
inverse transformation will let you bounce back and forth between mixed =
mode
and single ended.

If you have N-ports and N is an even number, you can convert your single
ended S-parameters to mixed mode, grouping your ports however you wish.  =
You
are correct that it is just as easy to simulate whatever network with =
single
ended (natural) S-parameters, and use MatLab (or some other math =
program) to
do the transformation to mixed mode.

Personally I use just the Sdd quadrant of a 4-port usually and typically
ignore the rest.  Well, maybe take a quick glance, but unless I see
something horrific I usually do not care.  I make a leap of faith that =
my
common mode rejection is good, and the mode conversion is small.

What I work on is differential outputs and inputs, so the differential
response is what I am most interested in.  Which leads in to why one =
would
get mixed mode S-parameters from a device vendor.  If you know you are =
using
a differential device, then from a datasheet/S-parameter quick glance =
you
can understand the differential response.  In addition, if you make the =
same
assumption I use about ignoring the rest of the mixed mode quadrants =
(Sdc
Scd and Scc) then you can simulate only a two port instead of a 4 port.
(Not that simulating extra ports is a big deal, but two ports simpler in
your own MatLab script or Excel spreadsheet)

Thank you,
Bill

Bill Beale                 CAE, HiPHY Group
Synopsys                   phone: 503-547-6523
2025 NW Cornelius Pass Rd. fax:   503-547-6017
Hillsboro OR, 97124        email: beale@xxxxxxxxxxxx

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org