[SI-LIST] Re: why do I need mixed mode S parameters?

  • From: "Loyer, Jeff" <jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vince_cavanna@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 08:14:36 -0700

My take, some of which was articulated in others' responses.

I have been forced to become familiar with mixed-mode S-parameters
because they indicate what I need to know about the behavior of a
differential bus, which is what many high-speed busses are now.  The
single-ended S-parameters for a PCI Express Transmission Line (a coupled
differential pair), for instance, won't give you much indication of the
losses vs. frequency for that T-line.  In fact, they may give you a very
erroneous representation.  You need mixed-mode S-parameters to make
sense of your return and insertion losses for differential busses. =20

For example, for the following circuit:
p1 ------- p2
p3 ------- p4

p1 & p3 represent the 2 input halves of a differential pair (coupled),
routed as microstrip, p2 & p4 the output.
Take single-ended measurements of 1/2 of this coupled, microstrip
differential pair (S11 & S21, with ports 3 & 4 terminated to 50ohms).
If the trace is long enough and your VNA goes to a high enough
frequency, you'll find dramatic resonances (S21 drops significantly at
certain frequencies).  Much of your energy appears to be "lost" at key
frequencies.  What you've inadvertently created is a "coupled line
coupler", described in detail in Pozar's book.  If you're unfamiliar
with mixed-mode parameters, you might conclude that a terrible thing is
happening at those resonant frequencies (and you will be in excellent
company, in my opinion).  However, if you then measure S41, and from
that measurement calculate SDD21 (for reciprocal, symmetric systems, mag
SDD21 is mag(S21 - S41)), you'll find that, for the differential case,
there is no resonance.  P.S. - nothing too exotic here, this can be
duplicated in Hspice.  Single-ended S-parameters gave an erroneous
indication of a resonance that doesn't occur when the system is excited
differentially; mixed-mode S-parameters were needed to judge the actual
quality of the system.

Similar things might occur if you only measure single-ended S-parameters
for a differential pair going over a slot in a reference plane -
single-ended S-paramaters show horrible return loss (reflection), while
mixed-mode S-parameters indicate little reflection.

As another example, take the circuit below:

          SE_p1 ------ SE_p2
Diff_p1                       Diff_p2
          SE_p3 ------ SE_p4

          SE_p5 ------ SE_p6
Diff_p3                       Diff_p4
          SE_p7 ------ SE_p8

Here, SE_p1 and SE_p3 represent the 2 input halves of one differential
pair (Diff_p1), while SE_p5 and SE_p7 represent the inputs of another
differential pair.  If these are signals going through a connector,
you're probably most interested in SDD11 (differential return loss),
SDD21 (differential insertion loss), SDD31 (differential NEXT), and
SDD41 (differential FEXT).  S21, S63, S33, etc. won't tell you much
about the behavior of the differential signals going through the
connector.  Also, you may not be interested in things like SCD31
(near-end crosstalk that ends up as common mode).

Again, mixed mode S-params are necessary to give you info. about what
you care about - single-ended S-params won't.

To my knowledge, no VNA equipment exists to measure mixed-mode S-params
directly (for the GHz frequencies I care about).  You must measure the
single-ended S-params, and mathematically derive the mixed mode S-params
from those.

A very good explanation of mixed-mode S-params is the "RF Balanced
Device Characterization" webcast by Greg Amorese and David Ballo of
Agilent.

I think many future models will have to be 12-port representations (2
differential aggressors, 1 differential victim), possibly as 12-port
S-params (single-ended).  Results from simulations that use those models
may then be converted to mixed-mode S-params to understand those
results.

Hope this helps without muddying the waters...

Jeff Loyer