[SI-LIST] Re: return path

  • From: "Jon Powell" <jonpowell@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <upender_ug@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 11:37:59 -0800

The answer is that the current will take the path(s) of least impedance. For
almost any interesting frequency of
clock, this will be under the trace, but at near DC it will be more straight
line shortest distance and spread out in the return plane. This is usually
easiest to understand by calculating the frequency dependent impedance which
quickly becomes dominated by loop inductance in a transmission line.

You ask if you can do a T. You haven't provided enough info for an answer.
In particular, you haven't told us what you are worried about. SI, EMC,
Operation, High Frequency?

For solid plane designs these questions can be answered pretty easily by
just about any SI simulator.